Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Country Pickin'





Liam and I visited the country this past week...to go antiquing, sweet treat eating, and maple syrup buying...

I've been going to this little town called Burton, since I was a little girl with my family. There used to be an old fashioned ice-cream parlor in the front of an enormous Victorian estate. It was called "The Same Place Too."






That has long since closed, but the ice-cream shop moved down the road and formed into a quaint little pizza parlor, so we eat there when we go...and save room for ice-cream, although I swear it's not hand-churned or anything like it used to be.

Oh well...

I have lots of fond memories of the way the area used to be. Some of the antiques stores are closed or are going up for sale now. But the buildings and old houses are always really neat to see. They also always have something really interesting going on, like amazing library sales, and Civil War enactments!






My dad and I used to love spending hours browsing all the cute little shops. My dad was wild about antiques. He was the one that taught me the precious value of old things. He was just fascinated by everything and had me wanting to ask lots of questions about history. My favorite childhood times were spent with my family in history museums, and antique shops across Ohio. Burton, Ohio will always have a special place in my heart, so we make the trip out whenever we can.

No comments: